Any massage is great for you. It removes stress, reduces pain, and allows your body to function at its peak level in all areas of health. However, a professional Shiatsu massage is one of the best ways to get rid of back pain or simply relax after a hard day’s work.
Table of Contents
What Is Shiatsu Massage?
The focus is on deep pressure therapy and kneading with shiatsu massages, making it different from Swedish massage. This type of massage can be used to release muscle tension, improve blood circulation, and promote relaxation.
Since many joints are involved during this kind of massage, it could also help with joint problems like arthritis and osteoporosis by improving joint mobility. The benefit of shiatsu massage is that it uses different techniques that can be used to relieve pain.
The History of Shiatsu Massage
Shiatsu is a form of healing that has been around for centuries. The word “shiatsu” comes from two words in Japanese: shii, which means finger, and atsu, which stands for pressure or touch. The Chinese over 2 thousand years ago developed this type of massage as a way to heal body aches through manual manipulation on acupuncture points (or energy lines).
It wasn’t until the late 1800s when it became more popular among European doctors looking to find an alternative method other than drugs and surgery treatments – yes, folks! Doctors used this technique because they believed that illness could be treated with therapies like exercise therapy instead of being addicted to painkillers all day long.
Benefits Of Shiatsu Massage
In addition to releasing muscle tension, improving joint mobility as well as increasing blood flow, shiatsu massage also has some other benefits such as:
- It can help people suffering from fatigue or insomnia to have more energy and feel better in the mornings.
- Since it helps joints move better, those who have arthritis may find relief after getting a few massages that focus on their painful area so they can move around more freely without pain.
- This type of massage is suitable for chronic and acute pains (e.g., headaches, lower back pain, etc.) since it uses different techniques to apply pressure. Some of these methods include stretching, twisting, and rolling to be effective against various pain problems.
Preparing Your Body For Shiatsu Massage
Since shiatsu massage uses many different techniques, your mind and body should be prepared for the experience. Let’s begin with some tips for those who are new to a shiatsu massage:
- It is important that you do not have any lotions or oils on your skin before getting a shiatsu massage since this may interfere with the process (unless instructed otherwise)
- You should wear loose clothing as requested by the masseur since this type of therapeutic massage involves putting pressure on specific points in your body.
- If you feel anxious about getting a shiatsu massage, try to relax by deep breathing several times before the massage starts
- You could also ask for aromatherapy to help you relax during the massage
How Does Shiatsu Massage Work?
Shiatsu is a type of natural medicine that uses your body’s meridians (energy channels) to bring balance and harmony. This kind of medical practice stimulates energy flow throughout your body by placing pressure on key points such as acupuncture meridians.
These points are where energy can be impacted or changed to be pain, discomfort, or imbalances in your body. During a shiatsu session, you lie face down on the table with only your shoulders exposed while the masseur applies pressure directly onto these key points through different techniques.
How To Get The Most Out Of Your Shiatsu Massage
Getting a shiatsu massage is not as easy as it sounds. You should be prepared for the experience before getting one so you can have the most out of it:
- If you want to get rid of certain types of muscle pain, make sure to discuss with your masseur beforehand what type of techniques are used so they can focus on those areas
- Before starting a session, ask about how long it will last and let them know if you feel any side effects such as dizziness or nausea after the massage.
- Remember that if this happens, you must tell your masseur immediately so they could stop performing the treatment
- Since shiatsu massages are known to be relaxing, ask if your masseur can provide you with a relaxing Japanese atmosphere, such as through the use of essential oils or soft music.
- Since shiatsu massages are performed on the floor, make sure that it is clean before getting onto the table (a dirty floor could carry bacteria and some other kinds of infections)
Some Things To Keep In Mind
Now you know what to expect from a shiatsu massage, but there are also some important things that you should keep in mind:
- Do not drink alcohol or take any medication an hour before your appointment since these drugs will cause drowsiness. It would be best to avoid caffeine because it may keep you awake during a shiatsu session.
- If you are pregnant, you must consult a doctor before getting any massage since it is not recommended for expecting mothers to receive massages.
- If you have just had surgery, make sure to talk with your doctor before getting a shiatsu session since this may cause discomfort on the incision area.
With Shiatsu massage, you will experience a deep sense of relaxation and clarity. If you are looking for a new type of therapy to help calm your mind and body or want to try something different than what you’ve tried in the past, then give this style of massage a try! Check out our shop for the best shiatsu massagers for sale.